Wednesday, August 1, 2012

West Hill Picnic Top

The lovely Heather of Featherty Sews sent me a precious yard of Heather Ross West Hill Riding Clothes for my horse loving daughter Soren.  I held on to that yard of fabric for a year and a half waiting for the perfect garment pattern to come along.  Now that Soren is moving into a size 10, try as I might I just couldn't squeeze something to wear out of it.  Something worth cutting into that fabric.  Does that ever happen to you?  You hang on to a piece of fabric because you feel it has to be used in a special way.  Or you don't want to risk wasting it?

So where my fear and indecision slammed the window shut on sewing for Soren there was still a crack in Ms. Ella's window. Ella won the lottery on this fabric and luckily she is horse crazy too.


I have to admit I was racked with fear after I measured Ella, selected the corresponding size and started cutting. Kicked myself for not making a muslin. Then decided that if it didn't fit I would donate it to a charity auction. All turned out fine. I think the fit is cute and a bit reminiscent of the 60's.


 I added black maxi piping to the front bodice seam as I have seen a few other folks do.  It really is a nice touch.

Pattern:  Oliver & S Picnic Top
Fabric:  West Hill by Heather Ross
Size: 6 with no pattern modifications
Trim: Black maxi piping
Ella: 47" Tall and 45 pounds with a chest circumference of  22"

Cheers!
Sonja

2 comments:

  1. Oh be still my heart that's adorable!! So glad Miss Ella can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee Hee! I am so happy it fit her!!!! Yahoo!

      Delete